Performing Arts (Musical Theatre)
This two year Performing Arts extended diploma course will develop your technical and expressive skills in a variety of areas. It is perfect for students with a particular interest and commitment to the performing arts. You will have opportunities to perform to live audiences throughout the course, and the opportunity to attend workshops with industry practitioners. The course involves a combination of practical and written work and there will be coursework-based and practical assessments throughout the course, which will include an end of year production.
Level: Vocational (level 3)
Type: Triple award
Begin with the end in mind
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS:
Teacher, performer, arts administrator, entertainer, theatre technician and drama therapist, cruise ship entertainer.
POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY STUDY OPTIONS:
Many students have progressed to prestigious dance and drama schools including Urdang Academy, Trinity Laban, Italia Conti and Bird College as well as Universities to study Acting, Musical Theatre, Performing Arts, Vocal Studies.
Topics you'll cover
- Musical theatre techniques
- Singing skills for performers
- Acting styles
- Jazz dance.
- Final live performance to an audience (end of year production)
- Investigating practitioner’s work
- Individual performance commission
- Employment opportunities in the performing arts.
Assessment and Qualification
- 13 Units will be covered throughout the two-year course; 4 of which are externally assessed. Most units will contain an element of both practical and written work.
- Assessments will include a performances and portfolio of work.
- Exam board: Pearson
- BTEC Extended Diploma (level three)
- Equivalent to three A Levels.
Course entry requirements
- At least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English Language
- An absolute commitment to performing and rehearsing
- A willingness to work as part of a team and contribute to group work.
During your studies you will have access to extra materials and activities as part of your course. These extra items (such as equipment, study guides and workbooks etc.) are built into the normal day-to-day running of our courses and so we ask students to make an annual payment towards these additional costs. If there are any issues with being able to pay these costs, please contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College.
A copy of our course payment breakdown can be course payment breakdown.