Principal’s Praise for Richard Taunton Sixth Form College Students’ A Level Success

Richard Taunton Sixth Form College Principal Angela Berry paid tribute to students who worked hard to achieve the A Level results they needed to further their education.

Speaking after the college saw excellent results in science and art subjects, with most courses achieving 100 per cent pass rate and an overall pass rate of 98.3 per cent across these key areas, she said: “It’s been a year of hard work and against a background of the return to stricter marking of A Levels, I’m very proud of the progress we have made.”

The college has performed well in many subjects, including a 100 per cent pass rate (A* to E) in Chemistry, Physics, Geography, English Literature, Accounting and Photography, with 90 per cent in Computer Science and Sociology.

Students studying BTEC and Vocational Level 3 subjects achieved a 95.1 per cent pass rate, with 74 per cent achieving D* to Merit.

Among the successes are Thomas Brown, who achieved a Distinction and two Merits in his Business Extended Diploma at BTEC. He has already launched his own property business in partnership with his mum. “I was inspired by a lady I met from New York who started her own successful business,” he said.

Musa Ncube, who achieved an A in Maths and a B in Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics.  Musa, who came to the college from Zimbabwe, will, be studying a degree apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering at Chichester University with placements at power management company Eaton.

He said: “My results are great, I’m really happy with them. My uni course looks and sounds great, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Weronika Balin, who came to the college from Upper Shirley High, was delighted with an A in Law and Psychology and a B in English Literature. She will be studying Psychology in Education at the University of Bristol. She said: “I am thrilled with my results, I honestly didn’t think I would do this well. I’m all prepped for university and can’t wait to start a new journey.”

Marta Martins, who came to the UK from Angola and her friend Brenda Amato Woods are both heading to Southampton Solent University. Marta will be studying Education after gaining a Merit in Business at BTEC, and a C in Criminology and a D in Photography at A Level.

Brenda, who joined us at Richard Taunton from Cantell School in Southampton, was pleased with Distinctions in Business and Digital Media and a Merit in Social Care at BTEC. She is looking forward to starting her degree course in Finance and Accounting. She said: “I’m really happy with my results and I am looking forward to celebrating with my family.”

Millie Franklin, who came to the college from Upper Shirley High, is going to be studying Criminology at Bournemouth University from September after achieving an A in Criminology and B ion Sociology at A Level and a Distinction in Health and Social Care at BTEC.

Mrs Berry said: “Congratulations to our students, it was wonderful to see them collecting their results and hearing their stories. I am also delighted with our high achievement rates in Art and Science as well as improved vocational results.

She said “The college can help any student who didn’t get the grades they were expecting. “We are very keen to support any student that needs help with the University Clearing process and they must not hesitate to get in touch with the college over the coming days and weeks if they need to. We are also holding an Explore Your Options event on August 24 between 10am and 2pm.”