**Position open for parent governor. Deadline 5 October 2017. Click here for details.**
The college’s governing body is known as the Richard Taunton Sixth Form College Corporation. Its members are all volunteers, from a range of backgrounds and with vast expertise in various sectors.
The role of the Corporation is to agree the strategic direction of the college, set objectives and monitor results in order to help us provide high quality, effective learning for all. The members’ statutory responsibilities are to:
- Determine and review the educational character of the college, and its mission, vision and values
- Approve the college’s quality strategy
- Oversee the efficient use of resources and safeguard the solvency of the college
- Appoint, appraise and determine the pay and conditions of senior post holders, and set a framework for the pay and conditions of all other staff
Other specific responsibilities are set out in the Terms of Reference of the Corporation’s Committees, which outline each Committee’s powers and remit. Generally, members of the Corporation are responsible for setting strategy, exercising general oversight and monitoring progress against targets.
The Corporation makes decisions in full Corporation meetings (usually held five times a year) and each Committee makes recommendations to the Corporation. The Corporation has established a committee structure comprising five committees:
- Finance and Resources
- Governance and Search
- Students, Standards and Quality Improvement
The Corporation’s role is strategic, and members don’t involve themselves in the day-to-day management of the college – this is the responsibility of the Principal.
Who We Are
Roger Woolley Chair Jenny Anderson Vice-Chair Sue Dovey Ali Foss Ian Golding Richard Hall Guy Hindle Parent Governor Ashley James Satvir Kaur Martin Kelly Paul Need Alice Wrighton Principal
Staff and Student Governors
Chris Harrison Staff Stuart Randall Staff Albany Rowan Student Abdullah Khan Student
Co-opted Committee Members
Andrew Haslehurst Audit Claire Merritt SSQI Henry Slater Audit Jason Hampton Finance & Resources
Click here to read the biographies of our governors
Access to Meetings
- Members of the public who wish to attend all or part of a Corporation meeting, as an observer, are asked to contact the Clerk in advance of the meeting, either in writing, by email or telephone. The Corporation is committed to openness and accountability and makes every effort to meet access requests. However, it is entitled to refuse requests on the grounds of confidential items.
No person other than a Member of the Committee and / or the Clerk to the Corporation are entitled to attend Committee meetings, except at the invitation of the Committee Chair.
- In the interests of openness and accountability, public copies of Corporation minutes are available below:
Board Minutes 20.10.16
Board Minutes 07.7.16
Board Minutes 26.5.16
Board Minutes 14.4.16
Board Minutes 27.2.16
Board Minutes 10.12.15
Board Minutes 22.10.15
Board Minutes 25.6.15
Board Minutes 18.3.15
Audit Committee Minutes
Finance & Resources Committee Minutes
Governance & Search Committee Minutes
Students, Standards & Quality Improvement Committee Minutes
Becoming a Governor
- The college mission is to ‘Raise the aspirations and achievements of students of all ages and abilities, by providing outstanding education’. Join our Board of Governors and help the college to achieve its mission.This voluntary role brings many rewards and we are keen to involve people of all ages and backgrounds. The college is committed to promoting equality of opportunity and diversity, and actively seeks to recruit governors who possess the requisite skills and who reflect the composition of staff, students and community, which the college serves.
Committee meetings are usually held during term-time only, and most take place in the early evening. Additional training sessions are held from time to time and Governors are encouraged to take up training in areas including Health and Safety, Finance, Equality and Diversity and Child Protection.
The Clerk to the Corporation, Catherine Jones, is always interested to hear from anyone who would like to know more about becoming a governor or the work of the Corporation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02380 514716.