We’re Taking Part in the ‘Big Bang’ Event on 10 March
17th February 2017
To mark the start of National Science and Engineering week we are joining forces with the Winchester Science Centre to host our third annual Big Bang event at the College.
The Big Bang is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths for young people in the UK. We have invited a number of schools to join us and take part in a range of science related activities. These include:
- Science career speed dating style events with industry professionals
- A demonstration by our science students of the type of experiments and projects they undertake
- Hands on experience of measuring your own vital signs, courtesy of LifeLab from Southampton General Hospital
- Science shows hosted by the University of Southampton, Winchester Science Centre and Fawley Chemical Refinery
- Access to Southampton Solent University’s broadcasting truck, which is used by the BBC News team
- A tour of our Science facilities and Q&A session with our science students
In addition to this array of events and activities, our students will take part in the Silver CREST Award competition. They will be judged on their research projects, their ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of their chosen Science topic, and their responses to questions.
The event is free of charge and open to students from local schools (predominantly Key Stage 2/3/4) who have a passion for science. Schools can register at: http://nearme.thebigbangfair.co.uk/view/?eve_id=2626