This two year vocational course involves a combination of academic and practical study and will equip you with the knowledge and experience required to pursue a career in the sports industry. You will also undertake work experience related to this course.
Level: Vocational (level 3)
Type: Triple award
Begin with the end in mind
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS:
Coach, teacher, personal trainer and professional sports player.
POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY STUDY OPTIONS:
Sports studies, sports therapy and sports psychology.
The college helps students to secure sports scholarships in the USA.
Topics you'll cover
- How the body functions and responds to exercise
- Sports injuries and rehabilitation programmes
- Fitness testing
- Planning and carrying out a six week training programme for a client
- Sports coaching
- Technical and tactical sports skills
- Practical sport (individual)
- Social and cultural issues that affect sport.
- Planning and leading sports activities
- Sports nutrition and sports massage
- How mind-sets can affect performance
- Work experience placement
- Sports event management at a local school
- Career planning and conduct
- Practical team sport.
Assessment and Qualification
- 100% coursework
- Exam board: OCR
- CTEC Extended Diploma (level three)
- Equivalent to three A Levels.
Course entry requirements
- At least five GCSEs at grade 4 (including English)
- If you have studied the BTEC First Diploma in Sport you will need to have gained at least a Merit
- Good school reference including attendance and behaviour
- Making a good impression at the college pre-enrolment interview.
What students say about the course
"This course has helped me to be more confident in everyday life. There is a good balance between practical lessons, which are physically active, and theory lessons. I particularly enjoy the coaching side of sport and we get to put our skills to the test by running coaching sessions at local schools, which contributes to our grades. You can also take part in lots of different types of sports clubs, which help you make new friends and better your sporting skills. The teachers are helpful and make the session fun and not boring."
Amelia Joy, previously at Noadswood School
During your studies you will have access to extra materials and activities as part of your course. These extra items (such as equipment, study guides and workbooks etc.) are built into the normal day-to-day running of our courses and so we ask students to make an annual payment towards these additional costs. If there are any issues with being able to pay these costs, please contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College.
A copy of our course payment breakdown can be course payment breakdown.
Students will undertake a work experience unit on the course, within the unit students will search, apply and work in a two week work placement within the sports industry. Students will also gain work experience in coaching and leading sports events in local schools.