This two-year vocational sport course involves a combination of academic study and practical sport (team and individual), which will equip you with the knowledge and experience required to pursue a career in the sports industry. You will also undertake course-related work experience alongside your study.
Level: Vocational (level 3)
Type: Triple award
Begin with the end in mind
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS:
Coach, teacher, personal trainer, massage therapist, sports data analysist, nutritionist.
POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY STUDY OPTIONS:
Sports Science, Sports Therapy, Sport and Recreational Management, Sports Psychology, Football Studies.
Topics you'll cover
- How the body functions and responds to exercise
- Sports injuries and rehabilitation
- Fitness testing
- Plan and deliver a six week training programme
- Sports coaching
- Technical and tactical sports skills
- Social and cultural issues that affect sport
- Practical Individual sports
- Practical team sports.
- Planning and leading sports activities
- Sports nutrition and sports massage
- How mind-sets can affect performance
- Sports event management at a local school
- Sports analysis
- Psychology of sport
- Work experience.
Assessment and Qualification
- 100% coursework
- Exam board: OCR
- CTEC Extended Diploma (level three)
- Equivalent to three A Levels.
Course entry requirements
At least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English Language.
During your studies you will have access to extra materials and activities as part of your course. These extra items (such as equipment, study guides and workbooks etc.) are built into the normal day-to-day running of our courses and so we ask students to make an annual payment towards these additional costs. If there are any issues with being able to pay these costs, please contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College.
A copy of our course payment breakdown can be course payment breakdown.
Students will undertake a work experience unit on the course, within the unit students will search, apply and work in a two-week work placement within the sports industry. Students will also gain work experience in coaching and leading sports events in local schools.