This Spanish course is offered as an AS qualification (one year of study) or an A Level qualification (two-year linear course). You will learn about the concerns which affect people’s lives in Spanish speaking countries and have the opportunity to study a Spanish film and a literary text. The course will help you to develop your fluency and understanding of the language.
Level: A Level (level 3)
Type: A Level and AS Level
Learning Area: Languages
Begin with the end in mind
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS:
Journalism, foreign civil service, international aid/development worker, marketing, advertising, editing and publishing, subtitles and voice-overs, import/export specialist, interpreter/translator, hotel management, tour management, teaching.
POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY STUDY OPTIONS:
Modern Languages, Spanish/Modern Languages, Intercultural Communication, International Business, Linguistics, Translation Studies, Applied Languages, International Relations, Speech & Language Sciences.
Topics you'll cover
- Modern and traditional values
- How new technologies have changed our lives
- Equal rights for women and LGBT groups in Spain and Latin America
- The culture of fame and its impact on young people
- Hispanic regional identity (Holy Week, bullfighting, food, dialects, architecture, music)
- Spanish film: El Laberinto del Fauno by Guillermo Del Toro.
- Immigration, integration and combatting racism
- Issues affecting youth in Spain
- Monarchies and dictatorships
- Social movements (trade unions and social protests)
- Spanish play: La Casa de Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca.
Assessment and Qualification
- Three exams (listening, oral, reading and writing)
- Exam board: AQA
- AS Level (level three)
- AS or A Level qualification (level three).
Course entry requirements
At least five GCSEs at grade 5 or above, including grade 6 in a language and in English Language.
You may be expected to pay a course fee each year to cover the cost of materials and equipment. If there are any issues with being able to pay these costs, please contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College. A copy of the course payment breakdown can also be found here: course payment breakdown. There is also an expected cost for a possible Spanish Exchange opportunity.