Computer Science is a practical subject where you can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. In this two year course, you will develop your capacity to think creatively, innovatively, logically and critically. Exploring a broad range of topics, from computing principals and algorithms to problem-solving, systems and programming. The course will provide insight into, and experience of how computer science works and invites you to engage with computer science in everyday life.
Level: A Level (level 3)
Begin with the end in mind
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS:
Programmer, network engineer, database administrator, games developer, interface designer, multimedia programmer, systems analyst, systems developer and tester.
POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY STUDY OPTIONS:
Computer Science, Information Systems, Multimedia, Software Engineering, Computer Networking, Software Development, Cyber Security, Internet/Games Related, Animation, Programming, Information Management.
Topics you'll cover
- The characteristics of contemporary processors, input, output and storage devices
- Software and software development
- Exchanging data
- Data types, data structures and algorithms
- Programming project.
- Elements of computational thinking
- Programming and problem solving
- Pattern recognition, abstraction and decomposition
- Algorithm design and efficiency
- Standard algorithms
- Legal, moral, cultural and ethical issues.
Assessment and Qualification
- Two written exams (40% each) and one programming project (20%)
- Exam board: OCR
- A Level qualification (level 3).
Course entry requirements
At least five GCSEs at 5 or above, including English Language, with Maths at a grade 6 and either science (Physics or double award) or Computer Science at grade 6.
During your studies, you will have access to extra materials and activities as part of your course. These extra items (such as equipment, study guides and workbooks etc.) are built into the normal day-to-day running of our courses and so we ask students to make an annual payment towards these additional costs. If there are any issues with being able to pay these costs, please contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College.
A copy of our course payment breakdown can be course payment breakdown.