In this two year course, you will develop your capacity to think creatively, innovatively, logically and critically. You will study a range of topics from computing principals and algorithms to problem-solving, systems and programming. You will also undertake a programming project of your choice.
Level: A Level (level 3)
Begin with the end in mind
POSSIBLE CAREER OPTIONS:
Programmer, network engineer, database administrator, games developer, interface designer, multimedia programmer, systems analyst, systems developer and tester.
POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY STUDY OPTIONS:
Computer science, information systems, multimedia, software engineering, computer networking, software development, cyber security, internet/games related, animation, programming and information management.
Topics you'll cover
- Contemporary processors, input, output and storage devices
- Software and software development
- Exchanging data
- Data types, data structures and algorithms
- Legal, moral, cultural and ethical issues
- Computational thinking
- Problem solving and programming.
- Problem analysis
- Solution design, development, and evaluation.
Assessment and Qualification
- Two written exams (40% each) and one programming project (20%)
- Exam board: OCR
- A Level qualification (level 3).
Course entry requirements
- GCSE maths at six or above and a minimum of four additional GCSEs at four or above.
We will be working closely with Winchester University and students will have the opportunity to visit and complete potential projects there.
During your studies, you will have access to extra materials and activities as part of your course. These extra items (such as equipment, study guides and workbooks etc.) are built into the normal day-to-day running of our courses and so we ask students to make an annual payment towards these additional costs. If there are any issues with being able to pay these costs, please contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College.
A copy of our course payment breakdown can be course payment breakdown.