Hill Lane, Southampton, Hampshire, SO15 5RL
Situated in the heart of Southampton,our extensive network of bus routes, combined with our close location to Southampton train station and local cycle and walking routes, make the college extremely accessible. For a detailed route planner from your home address (including bus and train times) please use Traveline or MyJourney Southampton
- We have an extensive network of bus routes covering the wide area surrounding Richard Taunton. Please see below for detailed bus information based on your location and school.
R901 Hamble, Ingleside, Sholing, Bitterne and Portswood Hamble Sports College, Oasis Academy Mayfield, Chamberlayne College for the Arts, Sholing Technology College, Woodlands Community College, Bitterne Park School, Cantell School Bluestar (private hire) Termly pass must be purchased from college a term in advance, or subject to a £20 fee. £150 travelling to and from Bitterne or £200 travelling to and from Hamble.
R902Click here for timetable
Romsey (station), Abbotswood, North Baddesley and Lordshill Wheelers (private hire) Termly pass must be purchased from college a term in advance, or subject to a £20 fee. £150 travelling to and from North Baddesley or £200 travelling to and from Romsey. Proof of your bus pass enables you to travel free on their on their W1 service routes. R903 Langley, Hythe, Totton via Blackfield and Totton College Bluestar (private hire) Termly pass must be purchased from college a term in advance, or subject to a £20 fee. £150 travelling to and from Dibden or £200 travelling to and from Waterside. R903A Hythe, Marchwood and Totton Bluestar (private hire) Termly pass must be purchased from college a term in advance, or subject to a £20 fee. £150 travelling to and from Dibden or £200 travelling to and from Waterside. R904 Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, and Chandlers Ford Wyvern College, Quilley School, Brookfield Community School, Swanmore College, Crestwood College, Toynbee School, Thornden School College minibus Termly pass must be purchased from college a term in advance, or subject to a £20 fee. £150 to and from Chilworth Roundabout or £200 travelling to and from Eastleigh. U9 Southampton General Hospital, Shirley Townhill Park, Bitterne, Portswood, Highfield Campus, Burgess Road and Hill Lane Unilink (public service route) Ticket information available here. U6 Southampton General Hospital, Shirley, Winchester Road (for college) Highfield, Portswood, Bevois Valley, Royal South Hants Hospital, City Centre and Dock Gate 4 Unilink (public service route) Ticket information available here. X11 Lordshill and Shirley Xelabus (public service route) Standard fares must be purchased on the bus. Contact Xelabus offices in Eastleigh for more information. X12 Southampton City Centre, Freemantle, Millbrook and Shirley (then a 20 min walk to college) Xelabus (public service route) Standard fares must be purchased on the bus. Contact Xelabus offices in Eastleigh for more information. Red Jet Shuttle Town Quay to college Students travelling from the Isle of Wight College minibus Subject to availability. By prior arrangement only. Free service 40 City Centre, Vincent’s Walk, Central Station North side to RTSFC (once a day in each direction) First bus (public service route) Payment on bus First Bus Any First Bus routes Purchase from college First bus (public service routes) Southampton area £80/term
Hampshire pass £155/term
King Edward VI School Services Covers most of the areas within the Hampshire county
View individual routes here
King Edward VI School
A one-off registration fee of £25 must be paid to King Edward VI School directly . There is a minimum commitment of two academic terms for travel on the KETA Bus Service. If a place is cancelled after the first term, the fare for the second term will still be payable. Students will be charged 75% of the full King Edward termly ticket price.
- Southampton Central is the nearest train station to college, with direct routes from Totton, Eastleigh, Romsey and Winchester. For more information about getting to college by train, use Traveline’s Journey Planner. From the train station, students can catch either the First Bus 40 or the Xelabus X11 to college. Alternatively, the college is a 30 minute walk from the station.
- Richard Taunton is easily accessible by walking. We are a 10-15 minute walk from Southampton Common and Shirley High Street, and a 30 minute walk from Southampton Central train station. We encourage students to keep active by walking to college and helping the environment.
- Cycling is a popular form of transport to and from college. We have a secure bike compound to store bikes, plus showers and changing facilities located in the Sports department.
- We are easily accessible by car and we have 155 parking spaces available to students at a cost of £20 (non-refundable) for the duration of their time at college. Whilst the college is conveniently located for parking, we must be respectful to our neighbours and encourage parking within the college to reduce street congestion.
Travelling from the Isle of Wight
- We offer a free shuttle service for students catching the ferry from the Isle of Wight. In the morning, students catch the 7.45am ferry and are picked up by our bus at 8.05am to get to college for 8.20am (lessons start at 8.30am). Students then board the 4.10pm college bus to catch the 4.45pm ferry back to the island. We also offer help with travel costs for students coming from the Isle of Wight, please call Student Services on 02380 514720 for more information. This service is by prior arrangement only and eligible students will need a bus pass to use this service, issued by Student Services. Please note all times are approximate depending on weather and traffic conditions. For further information, visit the Red Funnel website here.
There are three terms per academic year and our prices are very competitive. You may be entitled to help with travel costs depending on your financial circumstances. If you have any queries about travelling to college, please call our travel experts in Students Services on 02380 514720. Please note:
- We reserve the right to amend timetables or fares at any time during the academic year
- Changes to public services are at the discretion of the bus operator